Then an interesting phenomenon occurred. I actually started to use more fabric than I bought. I've been pondering this for a while now to try and work out why.
I think counting was taking away my enjoyment of things as I'm not really a details person. When I stopped counting I starting organizing my fabric and while I still have a long way to go to get it how I want it, I've been surprised how many times I could find just what I wanted when I needed it. Weird in a good way.
That's not to say I didn't get anything out of accounting for my purchases. My fabric purchases have changed. I love to buy a range but lets face facts rarely do I love everything that comes in the range. So I've started being more selective in what I buy. Exhibit No 1 is the picture below. Six months ago I would have purchased the entire range as fat quarters. This time I didn't. I have bought the pieces that I love in the quantities that I think will work for me.
Watch this space to see if I ever get organised.
7 comments:
I would say that "stashbusting" has been successful for you - not in counting what you took in and used, but in helping you evaluate the stash, enjoy it and use it as well as adding to it in a more thoughtful way.
I am in the adding mode, but like you, my stash is more organized, I know what's in it and I am using it. I am also buying smarter.
You'll get organized. I think organizing fabric is almost as much fun and creative as using it.
liz
I'm much the same way - I'm more big-picture, not detail-oriented. I could surely stand to be more organized, but I don't really care how much total yardage I have. It may be interesting, just for curiosity's sake, to see how much comes in and goes out next year, but I may just keep on keepin' on as I am. ;-)
Do whatever works for you and makes you happy!
Love that Rouenneries. It came to live at my house, too. I'm well on my way to getting organized, although I do know what's up there. I'll keep watching how your organizing progresses.
It seems that the organizing bug has hit us all...I pulled everything out of the stash cupboard and neatened up and somewhat have it organized. Still needs work tho..
I find that I am more creative when things are organized. Good luck!
Okay--let me try again!! It's not about the numbers, its how we use them. When I kept track of my goals each week, I realized I did lots of sewing, but only to the flimsy stage. You found out what works for you, to buy what you love!
Post a Comment